The things you do that drive your boss crazy
Here are some things that you do that drive your boss crazy…That you’re not aware of:
- You’re constantly late: 5 or 10 minutes might not seem like a big deal, but, over time, it might be. Being late for meetings is also an irritant….so is showing up late with a Starbucks in your hand!
- You’re never at your desk: In a traditional office, your boss can easily tell how often you’re at your desk. But even when working from home, your responsiveness to texts and Zoom calls is something that your boss will focus on.
- You dress inappropriately: Though your boss may not come right out and say it, he or she probably notices if you dress less formally than you should. So, you’re saying that “Flip-flop Wednesday” isn’t a thing here?
- You never commit: If you tend to say things like “I’ll try” or “I’ll see what I can do”, your boss picks up on your hesitancy. You are giving yourself an excuse before you even start the task, and that drives bosses crazy.
- Chit-chat: Bosses are generally accepting of some non-work-related talk. But if your small talk is getting in the way of your (and others’) productivity, there’s going to be a problem.
- You nitpick everything: It has its place. For example, on a business proposal or important sales document, things need to be perfect. But informal emails and whiteboard illustrations might not need the same level of perfection….Not to mention your 26-page PowerPoint dissertation on the shoddy selection of snacks in the break-room vending machine…)
- You send company-wide joke emails: This is a time when it pays to know what’s appropriate at your organization. The occasional joke may be OK, but don’t send them too often.